When babies are born, the foot bones have not fully developed, and the feet are generally flexible. It is beneficial for toddlers to walk barefoot while indoors, because this helps the feet to become strong as the toes grasp the floor. When shoes are worn outside, they should fit correctly, and be constructed of a breathable material. It is beneficial to measure your child’s feet every three months up to age three. This is helpful in choosing the correct size shoes, which should have adequate room for the toes to move freely in. Flat feet are a common condition that babies are born with and will typically outgrow by the age of seven. If you notice your child is walking with their toes pointed inward or outward, it is suggested to schedule a consultation with a podiatrist who can properly diagnose any foot condition.
The health of a child’s feet is vital to their overall well-being. If you have any questions regarding foot health, contact one of our podiatrists of The Foot and Ankle Associates of North Carolina, PLLC. Our doctors can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Tips for Keeping Children's Feet Healthy
- Make sure their shoes fit properly
- Look for any signs of in-toeing or out-toeing
- Check to see if they have Clubfoot (condition that affects your child’s foot and ankle, twisting the heel and toes inward) which is one of the most common nonmajor birth defects.
- Lightly cover your baby’s feet (Tight covers may keep your baby from moving their feet freely, and could prevent normal development)
- Allow your toddler to go shoeless (Shoes can be restricting for a young child’s foot)
- Cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- Keep your child’s foot clean and dry
- Cover cuts and scrapes. Wash any scratches with soap and water and cover them with a bandage until they’ve healed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact one of our offices located in Ahoskie, Durham, Raleigh, and Rocky Mount, NC. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.