Former U.S. Mountain Running Team member Tommy Manning is no stranger to novice runners who select running shoes based more on looks than function and fit. When the athlete previously worked in a running specialty store, Manning often encounter customers who would ignore the running shoes suggested to them by the store’s running experts in favor of a pair that is more fashionable or better looking. “Feet come in all shapes and sizes, with varying widths, arch heights and amounts of pronation or supination,” he shares. “So you should by the shoe that is best for your foot in function and fit.”
Getting the right shoe size is an important part of proper foot health. If you have any concerns about your feet contact one of our podiatrists of The Foot and Ankle Associates of North Carolina, PLLC. Our doctors will treat your foot and ankle needs.
Getting the Right Shoe Size
There are many people that wear shoes that are ill-fitting, which affects their feet and posture. Selecting the right shoes is not a difficult process so long as you keep several things in mind when it comes to selecting the right pair.
- When visiting the shoe store, use the tools available to measure your foot
- When measuring your foot with your shoe on, add 1-2 inches to the size
- Be sure there is ‘wiggle room’. There should be about an inch between your toes and the tip of your shoes
- Do not always assume you are the same size, as manufacturers run differently
- Purchase shoes later in the day as your feet swell as the day progresses
- If a shoe is not comfortable, it is not suitable. Most shoes can’t be ‘broken in’, and comfort should be the ultimate goal when it comes to choosing the right pair of shoes
As our feet hold our body weight and keep us moving, it is important to treat your feet right by choosing the right pair of shoes that can provide them comfort and mobility with minimal pain.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our offices located in Ahoskie, Durham, Raleigh, and Rocky Mount, NC. We offer the newest diagnostic tools and technology to treat your foot and ankle needs.